Hi all! Exclusive Run Coaching and Coach-Directed Training Groups may be new a concept to you. Here is what to look for to make an informed decision about where to invest your time!
1. Nationally Recognized Credentials
Nationally Recognized Certifications in your area of interest are more than just pieces of paper. This gives you evidence that this person is trained to keep your health in good hands. They have gone above and beyond just putting a sign outside their door. With this training, you know you get the best service and direction to reach your personal goals, as well as accurate answers to your questions.
Health Certifications take time, education and expense to obtain. A person must have prerequisites before even beginning the process. They require extensive study in such areas as biomechanics, physiology, sports psychology and nutritional guidance – including what is safe to recommend within their scope of practice. They are knowledgeable about physical training responses. With this you get a professional who knows how to develop and modify programs that keep you on target with your goals while simultaneously avoiding overtraining/burnout and injury.
- Can you depend on the fact that they’ve been trained to help you progress at a rate that both keeps you healthy as well as on target with your goals?
- If something starts to hurt, are they trained to have the knowledge of what to recommend, potential exercises to strengthen muscular imbalances, or how to modify your program to keep you healthy?
- Are they affiliated with a network of other professionals to help keep you on the road?
Additionally, Certifications in areas such as Wellness Coaching train the practitioner in areas such as overall health management and planning, motivational capacities, positive psychology, goal setting and behavior change. This benefits you by helping you develop strategies for success, and keeps you going even when life inevitably gets in the way. It enables a holistic, healthy view of you as an athlete that leads to greater progress in sport and life.
As an example, if you went to a gym and hired a personal trainer, would you want to have just anyone walk over and design your exercise program? Or would you demand a certified, experienced professional who specializes in your area of interest for your time and money? Training is a complex process involving the proper development of all system of the body working together as a whole. Taking a generic plan and applying it without understanding the fundamentals could lead to training errors and even be a dangerous process without the correct understanding.
If you are considering a group training program:
- Is the director professionally trained and certified to facilitate this multi-person activity to assure the safety of all involved?
- Are they aware of how to handle various health conditions such as diabetes or heart disease that may come up in a group setting involving you or others?
- What about certifications such as CPR and First Aid if a you or another participant is hurt or has an incident in the session?
Working with an experienced professional adds to learned principles and lends to the development of expert skills. You then get someone adept at handling your specific, personalized needs.
- Does this person have proven experience in your area of interest with a record of success? If so, how much?
- Are they a demonstrated expert in their field?
- Do they have testimonials by satisfied clients explaining their work?
- Is this person able to inspire and motivate you to bring out your best?
- What is their coaching philosophy – and does that agree with what you personally believe?
You want someone as dedicated, focused and passionate about your targets and interests as you are!
- How much time does your coach dedicate to their craft? Is this a full-time profession for them, or just some add-on gig that they do on the side?
- Do they devote themselves to coaching your specific area of interest, or do they spread themselves across multiple sports, interests and areas?
- Do they commit the time required to consistently stay tied in and updated in the science of your field?
- Do they offer services that take you beyond just running to maximize your entire potential for overall performance and health?
- What do they provide to help you continue and progress after your current goal or program is completed?
Sure, there may programs out there that cost less. However, I’ve never found that a business can have the best quality, service, and the lowest price. What is important to you?
Make the right choice – ask yourself if you really want to take shortcuts with your time, results and most importantly: YOUR HEALTH.
And, let’s face it, when someone chooses to make an investment in something, they’re more committed. They do their planned workouts more consistently and hold themselves accountable. And they help build an incredible community of like-minded people ready to motivate and offer support for one another. All of this reflects back to get RESULTS. Choose to make that investment in YOURSELF.
More questions? Contact me, and I will be happy to assist you! Happy Training!